Do you wonder what a malocclusion is? A malocclusion is a misalignment within your mouth caused by ill-fitted teeth or a misaligned jaw line. Thanks to modern technology, malocclusions can be corrected with orthodontic treatments to give you a straighter smile. Listed below are some of the most common types of malocclusions:
– If the center of your upper incisors doesn’t align correctly with the center of your lower incisors, you may have misplaced midlines.
– If your upper incisors project out past your lower incisors, you may have an overbite.
– If your lower incisors overhang out past your upper incisors, you may have an underbite.
– If your incisors do not meet in the middle properly when you bite down, you may have an open bite.
Other forms of malocclusion
– If your lower jawbone does not properly align with your upper jawbone, you may have a cross bite.
– If your teeth do not rise above the gum line in the proper position, you may have a transposition malocclusion.
– If your teeth are out of their ideal alignment, you may have a rotation malocclusion.
– You may have spacing malocclusions if your teeth are overcrowded or if there are large spaces between teeth.
If you are looking to improve your smile with malocclusion therapy or any other procedure at Dieguez Smiles, you are welcome to book an appointment with Dr. Bertha Dieguez and our team at our dentist office in Birmingham, Alabama. We can be reached at 205-980-4744. We look forward to hosting your smile!